Monday, March 15, 2010

Working for yourself

I've always admired people who work for themselves. A true entrepreneur is rare. In some ways, my goal of becoming an online poker pro is very entrepreneurial. I'm hoping to use poker to achieve a few lifestyle changes. First, I want to achieve financial independance through being able to use poker to finance non-poker businsess pursuits. That way the money would be able to compound. But maybe more importantly, it would enable me to have a certain amount of freedom. Right now I have a 9 to 5 job 5 days a week, and it is a grind. I see the people around me who are older and still grinding away and I see how jaded they are.

So I'm at a point in my life, where I am still young enough to decide what I want to do. I can keep plugging away at the 9 to 5 job, which is increasingly becoming more money oriented (for the stockholders and not for the employees). I think I have the type of disposition where I can truly enjoy that type of lifestyle, and be content working in that type of environment for the next 30 years. However, it is not a path toward finanical independance, or even time independance.

So venturing into a path as an entrepreneur, not just as a poker pro, but in my profession as well is something that I think is worth aspiring to, and worth the risk at this point. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be reckless and just quit and hope for the best. But a gradual transition is something that may be in the cards in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment